As per the Rowing SA Safety Training Policy, Rowing SA is responsible for fostering a culture of safe practice in rowing, and its responsibility is to address the key risk factors, rules and compliance requirements that apply through South Australia.
To manage this, Rowing SA must maintain a register of Incidents & Near Misses and create a yearly report to assist in identifying and rectifying high risk areas or practices. Clubs must ensure that all members have access to and are educated and aware of their individual responsibilities to report incidents using the relevant incident reporting procedures.
If you are involved in an Incident or Near Miss, note a Hazard or an Off-Water Incident, you must complete and submit an Incident Report Form (for the online form, scroll down). This is best practice to ensure a safer and more enjoyable rowing environment.
On-Water Incidents & Near Misses
Incidents or near misses can be defined as including but not limited to, an event either causing or involving, or potentially causing or involving the following:
- the loss of a person from a boat
- the death of, or grievous bodily harm to, a person caused by a boat’s operations
- the loss or presumed loss or abandonment of a boat
- a collision with a boat
- the stranding of a boat
- material damage to a boat
- material damage caused by a boat’s operations
- danger to a person caused by a boat’s operations
- danger of serious damage to a boat
- danger of serious damage to a structure caused by a boat’s operation
Incidents or near misses off the water can be defined as including but not limited to, an event either causing or involving, or potentially causing or involving the following:
- equipment damage at a Rowing SA site or venue
- injury or accident at a Rowing SA site or venue
- identification of potential site hazards at a Rowing SA site or venue
- breaches of Rowing SA Rules or Policies
- Member Protection complaints (ie. breaches of the Rowing SA Code of Conduct and/or Member Protection Policy)
Incident Report Form
Please use this form to report incidents and near misses pertaining to on and off water events including, but not limited to, on water collisions or incidents, equipment damage/accidents at a Rowing SA site or venue, breaches of Rowing SA Rules or Policies, Member Protection complaints, site hazards (e.g. exposed wires, broken decking). Rowing SA will use this form to collect information and address incidents that have occurred, and those that constitute a potential future risk for the rowing community or the public. There are 4 sections to this form. Please complete each section and attach any additional documentation (e.g. additional notes, photo’s, statements) as required, or where the space provided is insufficient.